Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Objection!

Maybe I wanted to be a lawyer a long time ago. As far as the people I knew growing up, it seemed that just about everybody wanted to be a lawyer. Why? Hell if I know, it doesn't seem that good to me these days. Sure, there's going to be a lot of money, fame, good times, and almost anything else you can want, but that is only with one really big prerequisite: that you are good at being a lawyer.

That's right, most lawyers (and yes, I understand that is a very blanket term for the job) do not have a very bright career from what I can see. I look at those ads on TV these days and see Corey B. Trotz beg for you to sue random people for minor things like working the same job for forty years, then being shocked that the same, repetitive motion gave you *gasp* some hurty-disease in the area that moves all the time, doing that same, repetitive motion.

Of course, this is not the only reason to hate being a lawyer. Another is that how fun can arguing something so minor be? Don't get me wrong: helping people get settlements instead of sending the person that hit-and-ran them to jail. After all, a settlement is so they won't get sent to prison.

So, maybe you'll be a defense attorney. That's where the money is at, the fame and perks. It's also where you have to defend potential criminals, guilty or not. And that might be the only real redeeming quality of a good lawyer: they actively attempt to keep those they honestly believe are innocent from going to prison. And that is why I wanted to be one, but I also can't bring myself to defend someone who I believe has committed a crime. So be a prosecutor! Well, I also don't want to send people to prison just to keep a clean prosecution record, so I don't think that'd be the job for me, either, a conclusion I came to a while back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I had wanted to be a lawyer at one time. It was one of those jobs that adults tell you make good money. I still have no clue why I went around for a year and told people that is what I wanted to be.

May 5, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home